Today is a huge day for me. After what feels like a millenium of planning/procrastinating, today is the day that I start writing my novel. Words cannot contain how excited I am to take my first step of this long journey. If you’re as excited as I am, you’re probably bouncing in your seat like a coffee-drinking 3 year old, eyes wide, thirsty to know more. So without further ado my fellow caffeinsted toddlers, here are some fun facts about my WIP:
1. This is my first novel. I’ve written a lot of flash fiction and short stories recently so I can be prepared. I’ve been writing stories since I was little, but this is my first real swing at a story this massive. I’ve tried maybe 3 or 4 times to write a novel when I was younger, but time after time I would fail. It seemed impossible. Now, I know much more about the craft and what it actually takes to create a novel. I’m up for the task. Now is the time that I turn my dream into reality.
2. Although I love the fantasy genre, this novel will be a medieval fiction. No, not that kind of medieval, with olde english, knights and King Arthur. It’s a bit more modern, so no, there won’t be any knights in shining armor. As stated before, I love fantasy, but this story took on a life of its own and demanded to be a medieval fiction. I love the medieval era, so this genre is A-Okay with me.
3. I’m a planner, so this novel had to be explored thoroughly before I could even think of beginning. Want to know how much of a planner I am? I just wrote a 7 page synopsis on the story. Yeah, I could hardly believe it myself. 7 pages.
4. My goal is to write at least 1,000 words a day. I know it’s small, but that’s my warm-up number. As I become used to the story, I’ll gradually increase it. And that’s a minimum of 1k a day, I can very easily go past that quota. Follow me on Twitter because I’ll be giving daily word count updates.
5. The first draft will be written by hand. Here’s a fact about me: whenever I write, I do it in a notebook first and then type it up on the computer. This will be no different. I just love writing by hand. There’s just something intimate about gliding a pencil across the paper and seeing my own handwriting. There’s nothing wrong with using a computer, but I prefer a good ol’ fashioned paper and pencil.
I’ve received so much support, especially in the last few days, and for that I say thank you. You don’t know how much your encouragement helps move me forward. I can feel the stress already, and admittedly it’s kind of scary to think of the idea of writing a novel, but you give me strength. You believe in me, even if I don’t believe in myself sometimes. You don’t know how much the help means to me, and I will not fail you. I will finish writing this novel. Pinky promise.
I’ll be posting regular updates here on the blog, so stay tuned for my writerly drama. I’ll post my observations and word counts. I’ll also be dropping a few character names and a few excerpts along the way. If you have any questions or want me to post something, leave a comment. Thanks for reading!